Dr. Nathie Marbury Scholarship
The Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf is honored to offer the Dr. Nathie Marbury Scholarship. Dr. Marbury had a profound impact on the Western Pennsylvania School for the Deaf and the larger Deaf community. A $1,000 scholarship will be awarded each year to at least one graduating senior from WPSD. Please see below for an explanation of eligibility and the application.
Eligibility. All graduating seniors at WPSD are encouraged to apply. However, in accordance with the wishes of Dr. Marbury, preference will be given to applicants in the following order:…
- Applicants are Deaf Students of Color
- Applicants who are considering careers in teaching ASL
- Applicants who are considering attending college/university, especially Gallaudet University
Required Materials. Interested students must submit the following:
- Completed General Data Sheet
- Copy of college acceptance letter
- Copy of unofficial high school transcript
- 2 letters of recommendation (non-relatives)
- Completed essay questions. Please answer the following questions in ASL:
- Where are you going to college and what are your career goals upon graduation?
- Name one obstacle or challenge you had to overcome in life? How did you overcome that obstacle?
- Why is ASL important to you?
- How will you promote and increase awareness in ASL after you graduate from college?
- Answers to each question must be in ASL. Please videotape each response and upload them to a Google folder that will be assigned to your application.
In addition to your content, answers will be judged on proper ASL grammar and structure.
Deadline. All materials must be received by the WPSD high school principal by the end of the school on Friday – April 30, 2021. If you have questions about the scholarship or the application process, please email Principal Greg Mendenhall at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download a paper copy of the application by clicking Dr. Nathie Marbury Memorial Scholarship.